Sunday, January 4, 2009

Who am I?

I am reading an enjoyable book right now, "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal." It is a humorous and enjoyable read, but, it has caused me to spend too much time thinking about life, who we are and what my purpose on the planet is. (Not that it is hard to get me to start thinking about those things.)

For those of you who have not read it, it is based around the experiences of Jesus Christ in the time that is not covered in the gospels. Mainly after his birth till about age 30. During this time he and his childhood friend (Biff) travel to visit the three wise men who came to his birth. This results in him learning about many of the ancient religions. This of course is going to lead to me doing my usual read. Which translates into... I hope can finish the book before I read a bunch of other books related to it. It is a quick read, so I think I will get through it before I head off to read a bunch of other texts. So far, the other books I want to read are:
Not exactly a simple or short reading list. But, I think they would be good to help me try to figure out what I am supposed to be doing on this planet and who I really am. I mean I have a general idea of who I am. I like to eat and breathe. I like to be doing instead of watching. I like to interact and be around other people. I like to be in control. I am an egotistical perfectionist (so I generally feel like a failure at all times.) I generally distrust authority. And many many other things. But, I don't really have a clear picture of who I am. I think I need to figure that out before I can figure out what my purpose is. If anything, this should keep me busy for a while.

At least for now I can enjoy this humorous and enlightening read.

No comments:

Post a Comment