Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Kinda... sorta... maybe...

Today was a a snow day in some sense of the concept. I went to work on an hour delay. The drive was awful, but, I took it slow and made it there. The reward for going to work today was that liberal leave was available. So, that meant there were only 5 people in my department today. This meant I was able to get done all of the things I had needed quiet concentration to complete. Then about 11AM I got the best news of the day! The college had canceled all classes for the day AND evening. Which meant I didn't have to teach! woo hoo!

It isn't that I don't want to teach. It just gives me some time to continue to get ahead in developing my presentations. Since I am making the curriculum up as the class goes along I can be flexible with what we need to complete to finish the course. I can move a bit around and cut some material out and still hit my stated course objectives in the syllabus. So, a day off here or there is great. I won't tell my students that I liked the day off. I want them to keep focused and moving forward. ;)

I also finished grading my first quiz and it looks like we are on track. The results were:
9 - A's
7 - B's
2 - C's
2 - D's
1 - F (Didn't show up, so they fail the quiz)

It looks like my distribution is reasonable and the majority are at least sort of on track. We start to get into the real hands-on portion starting next week. So, I think that should really start to separate the group out. We will see how they handle working with the CLI.

I also picked up a Chinese Coach for my DS today. I have been trying to learn some basic Chinese for a while. I have a good book I practice in for writing characters, but, I don't have anything for help with pronunciation. Hopefully this will help on that front.

To close this evening... I would like to give a shout out to all my old co-workers at AOL. I know that the news today wasn't exactly uplifting. But, I still think there are alot of good things going on there and it is a great group of people. 10% isn't as bad as it could be. Besides, most every person I have worked with there is a pretty smart cookie and would do well in just about any position in any company. I wish you all the best of luck and I will keep my fingers crossed that the ones who want to stay, get to. And the ones who want a change in their career will get the opportunity with a nice severance. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment