Monday, January 26, 2009

I'm not jealous... I am in awe....

I had a pretty nice weekend. The wife and I spent it in the big city. We checked the dog in at the kennel and headed into Arlington. We stopped in Fair Oaks and bought a bunch of tea supplies. (Which reminds me... I should go make some tea!) Ah... ok. where was I? Oh yeah! So, we went down to Arlington and checked into the Courtyard for the weekend. Walked up the street for some really good Thai food and then back to the hotel for a couple hour nap. Then it was off to the party. It was a really nice party in a really nice house in Arlington and we had a really good time. Although, while I was there I had a very interesting conversation.

I was standing around talking to the host for a bit and ended up asking him what he did for a living. He responded that he worked for AOL up to 2000. (mind you he is about the same age as me) I asked him what he has done work wise since then. To make a long story short... not much. He retired in 2000 at approximately 28 years old! Now that is the way you do it! He realizes he may have to go back to work someday when he is older. But, he is enjoying the retired life while he still has his youth. What a great way to do it. I wasn't jealous of his situation. I was just in awe. That is such a great way to do it!

Unfortunately, the party wasn't all fun and happiness. There was good food (the buffalo chicken dip was out of this world) and great people, but, we were there for a sorta sad situation. Adam and Jenny, two really great people have to leave the US and move back to Ireland. We will all miss them very dearly and I hope they are happy and enjoy being back with their families in their home country. I think we will be visiting them this summer or the next. I plan to make it a two-fer trip and visit them and my good friend Jason over in Brussels in one trip. We will see...

After the party we walked the two blocks back to the hotel, ordered room service and crashed. I was so lazy the next morning. I got up at 10:00AM and wandered downstairs for some breakfast in the lobby. Then I went back upstairs and took a nap. Finally I got a shower, checked out around noon. We then met the gang for brunch at Witlows. We had a really good brunch and we will really enjoyed everybody's stories and company. The highlight of brunch was Jenny laughing at Mandi's story about her pig dying from a ruptured bladder. The look on Jenny's face after she realized she really really shouldn't be laughing at this was really priceless and we all got a good chuckle out of it. I am very sorry for Mandi's loss, but, I hope she can find some comfort in the fact that her pig's death can bring so much amusement to Jenny. :)

We left brunch and I was a total girl, spending over $300 on a couple pair of shoes. But, they are nice and I really needed some casual dress shoes. I got a brown pair and a black pair and they feel great. We hit Trader Joes on the way out of the city for our last hurrah and then headed to pick up the dog. Overall, it was a pretty good weekend.

Now I will hit the sack and see what old man winter brews up overnight....

No comments:

Post a Comment