Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Karma has its way of really biting you in the ass.

I finally have a job that I do truly enjoy.

  • My boss is great

  • The hours are good

  • The commute is short (for where I live) and scenic

  • The view from my office is probably the best anywhere in the 10 closest states

  • The work is very interesting

  • The people I work with are great

  • And it pays pretty good.

So....... This is how it is going.......

I currently subcontract into my position to a company that has the main contract. (I am leaving the names of companies and locations off for many reasons) The main contract isn't for what I do with the agency. The role that I perform is outside of the contract, but, my role was instituted by taking money from another project (which is my main role) and putting that money into this contract to bring me on board. The deal was that I would be sub contracted in for 3 months and then switched over to the company that has the main contract. This should occur next week. There have been a few hiccups along the way though...

The first came on New Year's Eve. For the three weeks or so leading up to New Year's Eve, the main contract was hitting some roadblocks and there was a MAJOR funding discrepancy. The contract expired on 12/31 and after that I could come to work, but, I would be working "at-risk" which means I wouldn't get paid for the time I worked unless the new contract was signed. We had a letter of intent from the agency for the contract extension, but, that means nothing without the contract. It came down to about 5PM on New Year's Eve before the contract was signed. That resulted in a very stressed out me for the final 3 weeks or so of the year. My apologies to anybody who I was a little short or despondent to during that time.

The next comes in the extension of the contract. The extension goes till March 4th. At that time we are to switch over to a new contract. But... there is a catch.... Word on the street is that the main company on the contract is NOT getting the new contract. So, they are hoping to latch onto the company that is currently the front runner to win the bid and to sub into the contract that way. So, once again I would be subcontracting on a project as a semi-outsider. The nice thing from that would be that the new big contract would be for several years, so if it all went right I would have job security for a long time.

But, there is a catch....

My current boss and the group I am working are making their own contract vehicle which would just handle our group. I would still have a position that was separate from the rest of my group (It is kind of unavoidable due to the nature of my position), but, I would be on the main level of the contract and it would be for several years also. It would also help semi-guarantee I would continue to work for my current boss and in the group that I currently work for.

This would require me to at some point leave my current contractor who I am going to be hiring on with next week about 2 weeks after I hire on with them. I feel kind of crappy about that, but, it is just contract work after all. It isn't like I have a big debt to them or anything. I would then work for another contracting agency from Feb 1st till the new contract vehicle was in place.

The main catch there is, I have been informed from my boss that the second route is the only way he can guarantee me funding for my position in his group.

That realization kind of makes my mind up for me. I will have to hire on with the main contracting company next week and then 2 weeks after that quit and hire on with the other temporary contracting company and then when the new contract vehicle is in place I will hire on with the company that administers that. (Which could be the company I am hiring on with next week, which would result in a nice big circle.)

As you can see... things are never as simple as they should be. This is what I get for having a job I really enjoy. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment