Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Up is confusing

I am still chugging away on the data center move at work. There is so much to do to get this all ready, but, it is nice to have a change of priorities for a bit. I am knee deep with Linux from teaching the class, so it is nice to not have to do a lot of Linux administration at work for a bit. I’m currently setting up a bunch of servers in the new data center to do a load test of the system. It is a lot of manual labor, but, it gets me out and about and it has the added bonus of getting me in shape. I have been working like a dog carrying tons of equipment. I actually think it is starting to pay off in toning up my physique.

I am still completely torn about what to do with grad school. I think my next step is to go take the GMAT and see how I do. That should answer the rest of the big questions and then I can focus on the last few issues. It would be awesome to blow away the GMAT, but, I am sure I will do average, just like most things I try to do. I still have to give it my best shot and see what happens. Or I will always have the what-if in the back of my mind. The last thing I need is yet another what-if in my head.

Class is coming along ok. I handed back the latest quiz in class and there were a few 100s but, several Ds and Fs. I am trying to help along the slower kids without sacrificing the education of the faster students. I think I am going to give the slower students one last chance at working back into the class and then I am going to have to cut the line for them and get the pace back up to where it should be. It is frustrating to see some of them struggling along, but, at the same time it is nice to be the teacher and know that I can progress at the pace I think we should be at.

The good news this week was we got our taxes back from the accountant and for the first time in many years, we do not owe anything. We are actually getting a refund. It is just crazy to think about it. We usually owe thousands every year. This time we are getting back enough to cover the cruise. The sad side is that it is a sign of the times. I think part of the change is a realignment of deductions. But, partially it comes from our capital gains form showing capital losses this year.

On that note, it has been a perplexing last couple weeks. I have become so comfortable sitting on the positions that were upside down and just trading in and out of the SDS that I am now all befuddled with this latest strong upturn in the market. Luckily I didn’t buy too much SDS last week. But, now I am still holding it and the S&P has just gone up, up, up. I see no reason to really sell out of any of my long positions; since they are all more dividend based and core positions. I will revisit that if we break across where we were before the Fed said they had a plan coming but, no details. Which I think was still up in the mid 8000s on the Dow. Until then, I will just keep a sharp eye on the morning markets and maybe buy some more SDS in the next few days to enjoy the next leg down on the market. Who knows, I may get my wish in the morning. I have to think that politicians talking about the economy on primetime television should be good for a double short of the S&P.

No comments:

Post a Comment