Thursday, March 5, 2009

And the drama continues

I am (once again) in a pickle at work. My contract that I am currently working on ended yesterday. The contract is up for extension and just needs a couple signatures to be extended. But, it is the government, so it is taking forever to complete. This means that I have no project to charge my hours to, so I essentially have no job. I am still being paid by my contracting employer, but, I cannot go into work. It is like a mini-vacation without a clear prospect of whether I will have a job starting next week. This makes it a little harder to enjoy it as a mini-vacation.

My way of handling it right now is I am going to the joint graduate information reception for GMU at the Tower Club tonight in Tyson's Corner. I am also going to work on lining up some temporary work back in the oil industry in case I need something to keep me busy for a short term till I can go back to work. I also think I will go for a hike tomorrow to relax.

This also gives me a chance to take a little time to work on my investment positions. I got a nice bounce off the China news yesterday because I had increased my positions in the energy and materials trade the day before yesterday. It is nice to sometimes get it right occasionally.

Speaking of making money... I won my weight loss contest at work and I picked up $320 for the efforts. I think I will end up just putting the money in my savings account. But, it would be fun to spend it. I had aspirations to go to NYC over my spring break, but, the wife is showing resistance to the idea. So, I think it will just end up in the savings account. I guess it isn't the worst place for it to go.

Well, even though I am unemployed, I have a busy day ahead of me. I just have some extra time to get everything done today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment