Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I just cannot find a good side to this at all

I usually like to root for the underdog that stands up against the government. I usually support anybody who is willing to take a stand for what they believe in and put themselves on the line to execute on their beliefs. But, in this following story, I cannot find any good from this at all.

Pakistani Peace Deal Gives New Clout to Taliban Rebels

All of it is just sick. How any of these people can justify their actions as being just and good for the human race, I have no idea. The only thing I could even remotely come up with to feel any compassion for them is that they are human beings and that religion can make people do some pretty messed up things. If you want to see what the flogging looked like here is a video of it that was released by the AP:

Woman flogged in Pakistan - DISTURBING FOOTAGE

While it isn't debilitating or lethal, it is so cruel and barbaric. I remember being on the hill back in 1998 for a meeting in the Senate and the issue of the Taliban came up. It was a 10 minute rebuttal from one of the committee members informing the representative from Unocal why they were not going to support building a pipeline through Afghanistan. It took him about 10 minutes of non stop talking to get through the list of atrocities that the Taliban had committed on its people and its nation in general. Nothing has changed since then. It is still a barbaric group of people and they have no business being given any kind of leniency or legitimacy.

I am 100% against going in and bombing them like so many Americans seem to be quick to want. But, I do NOT think giving them the leadership of a region of ANY country is a good idea at all. I try to tell myself that it isn’t as bad as I see it right now, that I just don’t have the big picture, nor an understanding of where these people are coming from. My problem in the end is that I cannot drum up any compassion for these people. I really hate to get to that point about anybody, but, I fear I am at that point with this group. I know that it isn’t everybody in the Swat district that is this way. It is only a select group. Unfortunately, this select group is the one that just had the power over the people granted to them. What a complete and utter disaster.

On the other hand... this story did help put in perspective the other story in the WSJ today:

Harassment Is Said to Persist at a Mint Branch

While this is a bad thing also, it does show how much better we have it here in America than in some other countries. That is not an excuse to just sit back and rest. We should still be outraged by the activities at the Denver Mint. But, it does help keep it in perspective. And possibly remind us of where we could end up if we do not stand up for what is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment